Togo: UN Rapporteur raises alarm over hunger strike of political prisoner

UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, Mary Lawlor, has expressed deep concern over the case of Abdoul Aziz Goma, an Irish-Togolese political prisoner held in Lomé.

In a statement posted on X (formerly Twitter), Lawlor recalled that Goma began a hunger strike on August 27 to protest his prison conditions and lack of adequate medical care, while calling for the release of political prisoners in Togo. “I’ve written twice to the Togolese authorities regarding his situation and will be closely monitoring developments,” she said, tagging the Togolese Ministry of Foreign Affairs in her message.

Goma, in his forties, was arrested in December 2018 during anti-government protests and sentenced earlier this year to ten years in prison. In a letter to David Dosseh, coordinator of the civil society platform Togo Debout, he announced his decision to refuse food “for an unlimited duration.” According to rights groups, he has suffered partial paralysis as a result of alleged torture and continues to denounce overcrowding, ill-treatment, lack of medical attention, and unfair trials in Togolese prisons.

The Association of Victims of Torture in Togo (ASVITTO), which estimates that around 100 people are still detained for political reasons, has warned about the seriousness of the situation. Its president, Atcholi Kao, told RFI: “The government has not moved and continues to keep these people arbitrarily. Some have already died because of poor prison conditions and acts of torture. It is a very, very worrying situation.”

So far, Togolese authorities have not responded to requests for comment.

One thought on “Togo: UN Rapporteur raises alarm over hunger strike of political prisoner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *